Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ippudo Ramen

I have heard so much about Ippudo ramen in Singapore so when it finally opens a branch in Malaysia, I just had to go and eat the famous ramen. There are two outlets in Malaysia now, one in Pavilion and another in the Gardens, both are in Kuala Lumpur.


I ordered the basic ramen in IPPUDO’s original tonkotsu broth (MYR26) and chose to have the ramen noodles cooked until soft. The other options are normal, hard or very hard. I also chose to have a free serving of raw garlics (as can be seen in the photo above) and I had a fun time crushing the garlics using the plastic garlic crusher that was made available to me. As I am not a fan of the strong pork taste, I ate all the crushed raw garlics to mask the taste of the pork. After this meal, I was literally spewing fire (garlic breath) like a dragon.


My partner ordered the spicy version with salted soft-boiled egg (MYR30). After we had finished eating the noodles, I noticed tiny whitish pieces of "unknown items" floating in the soup. They are actually lard, very tiny pieces of lard floating happily in the soup. I must have swallowed many, many, many tiny pieces of lard unknowingly while eating the noodles.

Oh well, of the many times I have eaten ramen in other ramen restaurants, this was the only time I have seen these floating delights but they were so tiny and so white that they could be easily missed. So next time if you eat ramen here, do keep an eye out for them before you finish slurping the soup.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You should try this then when you are in KL.

      Delete
  2. I dont really fancy ramen but I dont mind try it once a while. My hubby loves soup ramen very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ramens and the good ones here are quite a drive from my home. Those you've tried look and sound decadent. But wow, didn't know they put lard in it. I guess that's what made them so rich and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess that is what made the soup rich.

      Delete
  4. Seeing the ramen makes me crave for it, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...nice blog. What about the old one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried Ippudo before too. I don't fancy it much because the pork is a bit too smelly for me too. Anyway, I love your new blog. Looking forward to more yummy posts :)

    ReplyDelete