Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Da Feng Shou

This was another celebration dinner with the in-laws. Since all of us have just been to Hee Lai Ton, this time my sister-in-law suggested a restaurant in Bandar Puteri Puchong, named Da Feng Shou (大豐收). With 9 other hungry mouths around, I just quickly took a photo of each dish so this post is just for my own record of what we ate that night and how much each item costs.

All the dishes are very flavourful and oily since the cooks are from China (I think) but everyone agreed that the food is a nice change from the restaurant that we frequent. As usual I did not eat rice for dinner.

Deep fried pomfret - MYR48 - sauces are provided. After ordering this, we tried to cancel this order because my sister-in-law thinks that she could easily fry this fish at home but the head waitress said that the cook has already started preparing this dish so no changes can be done.

This is a small dish of spicy and sourish black fungus as appetizers - MYR8

A small dish of steamed brinjals with chili on top - MYR15 - a bit oily

Peppery and spicy (hot) frog soup - MYR38 - this soup is so peppery hot that if one is not careful, one would choke on the spiciness. I did not drink this soup although this soup is a specialty dish of this restaurant - you could opt for other meat if you don't want to eat frog.

Just look at the bunch of peppercorn with the red and green chilis revealed after all the soup has been consumed - no wonder the soup is so spicy hot.

I have no idea what this dish was as the ordering was not done by me. It was some sort of dried mushroom that tasted like dried lily bulb (kam chan) - MYR28.

Lamb ribs - MYR38 - the lamb is tender enough

Pork ribs - MYR38 - this is the least favourite  dish as the pork meat is quite dry beneath the sauce.

The pork belly (東坡肉 - Dong Po Rou) costs MYR28 and the 10 buns costs MYR15. I did not eat this dish but everyone else seems to like it.

Young kailan - MYR15 for a small portion - very crunchy - a clear favourite because my mother-in-law said that she only managed to eat just one stalk and then all the kailan was gone.

Total bill came up to MYR274 after including rice (MYR10.5 for 7 bowls), tea (MYR10 for 10pax) and a misc charge of MYR10 and a 10% discount due to my sister-in-law having a promotion leaflet of this restaurant.

There is another outlet in Ara Damansara and the tel. no. is 03-78465168. The outlet in Bandar Puteri, Puchong is directly opposite Penang One eatery.

20 comments:

  1. Guess should be around that price, right? If having outside food in that area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is proper aircond nice restaurant so the price is considered quite good because I see many people eating here. All seats occupied and have to wait for tables for late diners. We were there at 6pm and booked a table beforehand.

      Delete
  2. Sekali pandang, I like the steamed brinjals, frog soup, lamb ribs and pork belly.. Quite a lot of meat, but I'm happy with it coz I'm a meat lover.. Soup looks very very peppery, but becoz it's the restaurant's "jiu pai" dish, I MUST taste it, haha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a jiu pai dish. You can stand very spicy hot soup?

      Delete
  3. Interesting presentation for the fish dish.

    Hmm...price are more or less like that in other restaurant of similar class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a tiny bit cheaper than Chinese restaurants like Han Room, Gardens and Ming Room, BSC.

      Delete
  4. Not cheap but considering it is a Chinese restaurant, you can expect that price. That deep fried pomfret looked too dry. I dont mind having the lamb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you dip the fried fish into the sauces provided it will not be too dry.

      Delete
  5. I just heard from my friend too.. there is one shop in Ipoh now offering similar dishes as the above.. sidedishes black fungus and so on. She told me that the bill came to RM400 over for a few dishes recently... Flavorful and also price-full.. hahaha... Nice experience though.. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the cooks must be from China then. Now they are all over here.

      Delete
  6. I always pass by this place (Ara Damansara Branch) because I send my girl to one of the tuition centers there..I always wonder how's the foods like. Now I have a glimpse from your blog..heheh. Not that keen with the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you and HB can cook so well, no need to eat out actually.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes but my mom says black pomfret fish raw is also quite expensive.

      Delete
  8. The pomfret looks special, they even slice the fish, what an interesting presentation!
    You guys had so much food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but the portion of each dish is not as much as Hee Lai Ton. All dishes sapu clean except for the pork ribs which they say is not nice, too dry and tasteless beneath the sauce.

      Delete
  9. I'm not surprised the waitress told you that the chef is in the midst if preparing the fish, haha!! standard answer so that you don't cancel the order.. anyway, it looks different I guess?? and probably tastes different with the special sauce too?? :)

    other dishes also look different from what we usually have huh?? the hot soup is really something I won't touch, scary seeing the chili and peppercorn!! *sweat*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe but we were trying to replace the fried fish with a steamed fish dish.

      It seems the special sauce for dipping the fish is nice but I didn't taste the sauce.

      Dishes supposed to be Hunan dishes I think. I also didn't drink the soup at all because I can't stand hot and spicy food.

      Delete
  10. Interesting way of serving the pomfret. RM30 a kg here but one is less than a kg. It's not very heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, deep fried slice by slice absorbs more oil into the fish I think but easier for everyone to have a slice and not dig into the fish creating a mess. RM30/kg for a raw fish or a cooked fish?

      Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment here.

      Delete