Saturday, June 21, 2014

Taiwan Coconut Pastry

I was given one piece of this pastry bought from a shop (阿明師老店太陽堂) that is famous for its sun cake (太陽餅) in Taiwan.

This pastry is listed under the "Fragrant series - 香妃系列" which has 3 flavours - coconut (which is this one), meat floss and date paste. It is sold in a box of 12 pieces - TWD300 which is about MYR32.21 - MYR2.68 per piece.

Coconut flakes on top?

Many layers

Very very crispy and flaky but taste wise, I find it to be very oily and sweet with not much coconut taste so this pastry is not to my liking.

10 comments:

  1. Looks like strudels.. I love apple strudles.. But it has cream and custard, also in layers like this, but not that hard la..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Princess Ribbon, you are earliest today as usual. :) I like apple strudels too. The apple fillings make the strudels softer, you are right. This coconut pastry is very, very flaky. It just fell apart ans fell everywhere before I can put it in my mouth. In the end has to eat with a spoon.

      Delete
  2. Can tell it's crispy! But looks kinda 'soft'... Not too convenient to eat, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are absolutely right! :) soft crispy and flaky, really not easy to eat, the crumbs falling everywhere.

      Delete
  3. hmmm, oily and not much coconut taste?? but it does look very tempting and delicious leh.. or probably, coconut is not something of their expertise huh?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I expect a stronger coconut taste because I am used to eating fresh coconut meat. Maybe their target consumers prefers a light coconut taste.

      Delete
  4. Not really my kind of pastry. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete