Thursday, February 12, 2015

Year of the Ewe

I did a google search for the following terms:

"year of the sheep" About 2,660,000 results (0.27 seconds)
"year of the goat" About 2,080,000 results (0.37 seconds)
"year of the ram" About 1,080,000 results (0.32 seconds)
"year of the lamb" About 1,020,000 results (0.27 seconds)
"year of the ewe" About 40,800 results (0.15 seconds)

and the winner is "year of the sheep".  Actually Ram, Lamb and Ewe are all sheeps so how come Ewe is so unpopular.

Can you spot any goat or sheep design here?




If you are interested to know more about sheeps, below are some info taken from:

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/an_sci/extension/animal/4hyouth/sheep/sheepfacts.htm


SHEEP TERMS 
Ram male of breeding age 
Wether castrated male 
Ram lamb immature male 
Ewe lamb immature female 
Lamb newborn 
ANIMAL PROFILE
ClassificationScientific NameCommon Terminology
KingdomAnimalia animal 
Phylum Cordata vertebrates 
Class Mammalia suckle young 
Order Ungulata hoofed mammals 
Sub Order Artiodactyla even toed Ungulata 
Section Pecora typical ruminants 
Family Bovidae hollow horned ruminants 
Subfamily Caprinac sheep and goats 
Genus Ovis sheep 
Species Ovis Aries domesticated sheep 

24 comments:

  1. I gave up trying to make sense of sheep, goat and lamb and all.. I thought we humans are complicated. Then we have these kambings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wah seems like a short biology revision...I remembered studying all these classification in school last time, but has forgot all of it now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even remember studying these, lol!

      Delete
  3. Usually I see year of sheep or year of goat, seldom see year of lamb, ram or ewe, thanks for sharing, it is a eye opener for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, what does the seconds in the brackets mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time it takes for Google to search and come up with the results.

      Delete
  5. Ewe sound like eyewwwwww!!!!! NZ uses it...where there are more sheep than people. Newe Zealand! LOL!!! I would prefer sheep to goat... No sign of any sheep, leh? I don't like animals in ang pao packets - use one year...have to wait 12 years to use any left over. I'd be 74 when I can get to use my horse ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought ewe is pronounced as you? Where? Where are you looking for sheeps?

      Delete
  6. Wah so detailed, thanks for the info.. The card? The ram sign maybe, with the horns at the side?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept looking and staring at the red card, I only see red and gold. He he ....still cannot spot any goat or sheep..Thanks for the detail sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also cannot see it, someone told me where to look in the end.

      Delete
  8. I don't even know the word "ewe" to be honest. and nope, I can't spot any goat design on the angpao. I'm guessing, the patterns on that semi circular cover?

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha, the Chinese is more straight forward and i guess 羊年 is the only one?? hmmm, so next year you will have fun with monkey, chimpanzee, ape, orang utan, gibbon, king kong etc?? hahahaha~~ :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a search for all the terms, and surprisingly all came back with positive results but nothing to do with Chinese New Year. It is either related to movies or to effort to create awareness about these primates.

      Delete
  10. I do not see any goat design at all. Haha. Ewe is female goat. So generally it is goat year. No male or female goat to be specific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no. Ewe is sheep, not goat. Goat and sheep are different.

      Delete
  11. Maybe ewe is not a commonly used term.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor ewe. :) But seriously, it's not a commonly-used word.

    ReplyDelete